Oracle for Macintosh 2.0 w/ SQL*Net 1.5

From: Henry K. Yu <hyu_at_eng.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 92 22:55:43 GMT

I am having GREAT difficulty in attempting to setup Oracle for Mac 2.0 and SQL*Net 1.5. The setup I work with is a MacIIfx with 8 meg of RAM running System 7.0.

At this point, I just want to bring up Oracle in two ways. (1) as a local server. And (2) be a client to an Oracle (v6) server running on a VAX. I sometimes jump around when I install new software. BUT, not in this case page by page, I have followed the "Getting Started" until 3-16.

Problem 1:
According to the "Hardware Requirement", I should be about to bring up the Oracle kernel and start it with 5 meg. However, I canNOT start any of the following: System Stack, SQL*Plus, etc. All of which complains about not enough memory. After Oracle's kernel is loaded the system already jumped to 3 meg.

Problem 2:
How does one initiate a client session with Oracle's SQL*Net (TCP/IP)? (I somehow thing that my manager didn't pass the sale rep's trick. :-) ) There is a MAC TCP already running and SQL*Net doesn't seem to give you anything but the equivalent. Meaning, if one does not have any communication software, use SQL*Net. In the "Getting Started", it mentions the hardware requirment of being a client. It documents nothing about it, however.

In case you are wondering, we did purchase a service contract and do have a valid CIS number. Yet another persisting problem is there MAC technical services. I have broken new personal queue time records for the only three times I called. Anyone who can suggest a way to get help will be greatly appreciated.

If Oracle the corporation is monitoring this group, please email. I really would like to at least the setup part finish.

Sincerely,
Henry Yu Received on Sun Apr 12 1992 - 00:55:43 CEST

Original text of this message