Re: Blobs in Oracle ?

From: Tim Smith <tssmith_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 92 19:24:08 GMT

In article <1992Mar25.154852.25850_at_aio.jsc.nasa.gov> hall_at_orion.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Philip Hall 283-4031) writes:
>In article <1992Mar22.031916.15799_at_cs.umb.edu>, pytlik_at_ra.cs.umb.edu (Marek Pytlik) writes:
>|> I recall from one of the Oracle courses their recommendation to store
>|> pathnames to binary files instead of loading them as raw.
>|> --
>|> Marek
> The problem with this approach is that you lose all of the access management
>and auditing capabilities provided by the DBMS.
>
>The answer to the original question is: Yes, Oracle supports blobs up
>to 64K. Storage of larger objects requires segmenting them into 64K
>pieces and then putting them back together on retrieval.

ORACLE Version 7 (due out sometime this year) will support LONG character and raw (binary) columns, up to 2 gigabytes in size. You do not lose access management and auditing on the LONG columns, but you do "lose control" over how they might be partitioned and partially accessed. This is a problem (or a feature) of the relational model in general, and not of any particular implementation of it.

--Tim (tssmith_at_netcom.com) Received on Wed Mar 25 1992 - 20:24:08 CET

Original text of this message