50 000 000 rows

From: Jean-Yves Barbier <jbarbier_at_dbri.com>
Date: 24 Mar 92 16:34:57 GMT

I'm going to create a table which will hold more than 50,000,000 records. The hardware is a Compaq SystemPro 486 dual processor running Oracle under SCO UNIX 3.2v2 (soon to be 3.2v4) with 48meg of RAM and 20gig of disk. I have estimated the size of the table to be between 2 and 3 gig. There will be three indexes, each around 1 gig. I have not too much space so I have to build the indexes at the same time that I load the database.

The load of the data can be done by Pro*C or sql*load depending on the suggestions. I will appreciate advice and/or tips about the whole process like:

    It is crazy and you won't be able to manage this table.     Great ideas, if you have two years to spend, because that's the

        time you'll need to build the table.

Or a more constructive approach such as:

    Use Pro*C with a large host array.
    Try to find another design -- or another job :-)

Any information about similar experience will be appreciated, especially about timing for the load, and update procedures. E-mail or posting is OK.

Thank you.

--
Jean-Yves Barbier            |  L'enfer, c'est les autres.
jbarbier_at_dbri.com            |               --Jean-Paul Sartre