Re: A flat ASCII file. That's all I want. Just a flat ASCII file..

From: Dale Cooper <cooper_at_beno.CSS.GOV>
Date: 20 Mar 92 19:35:04 GMT

In article <2341_at_keele.keele.ac.uk> csa09_at_seq1.keele.ac.uk (P. Singleton) writes:
>From article <31008_at_darkstar.ucsc.edu>, by vangogh_at_ucscb.ucsc.edu (vangogh):
>
>> Okay, I'm trying to get a flat data file out of Oracle. Just a flat ASCII
>> file, with fields separated by pipes. I want to do this in both sqlplus and
>> sqlrep. Can anyone help me out?
>
>Yes, I have been using this method for a while: execute your SELECT with
>these options:
>
> ttitle off;
> btitle off;
> clear breaks;

[remaining lines of the script deleted due to lack of available memory on my box]

> __ __ Paul Singleton (Mr) JANET: paul_at_uk.ac.keele.cs
> |__) (__ Computer Science Dept. other: paul_at_cs.keele.ac.uk
> | . __). Keele University, Newcastle, tel: +44 (0)782 621111 x7355
> Staffs ST5 5BG, ENGLAND fax: +44 (0)782 713082

Wouldn't it be nice if Oracle provided a tool to do this as part of their product line?

Ever stop to wonder why they provide the functionality to import ASCII files using SQL*Loader but they don't provide a nice method to export files to ASCII other than some convoluted method such as spool or something similar to what you guys have come up with? Makes you just wanna scream sometimes...

Dale Cooper, DBA And they ask me why I drink... Center for Seismic Studies
Arlington, VA Received on Fri Mar 20 1992 - 20:35:04 CET

Original text of this message