data distribution and publication guidelines

From: Steve Cook <cook_at_bluemoon.ucsb.edu>
Date: 20 Mar 92 04:14:43 GMT

I would like to hear from people about, receive copies or, or ftp site locations, of documentation that describes the rules which sites use for data access and distribution.

Specifically, I am interested in reading what different sites are using as guidelines for people to access on-line databases, modify the data, control the access and distribution, quality of data, etc.

As background, we're implementing on-line database servers in an environment that has historically been closely controlled with respect to physical access, and specific personnel access. Now, with our network, it's possible for us (as you are well aware) to publish data, have good security on the access to data , but eliminate most of the previous problems with data distribution (or lack of) by gatekeepers.

Naturally, there is some concern that the data will be accessed by those that should not see it -- either first or second hand. And a related concern is now that we don't have physical limitations, people can get at the data easily and mis-interpret its meaning.

Have any of you encountered this before? If so, have you developed some documentation or otherwise developed guidelines to deal with it?

I would really like to hear from you on this matter if you have.

Thanks

Steve Cook
Computing Coordinator
College of Letters and Science
University of California, Santa Barbara
cook_at_bluemoon.ucsb.edu Received on Fri Mar 20 1992 - 05:14:43 CET

Original text of this message