Re: Outer Joins for more than 2 tables ??? (Summary of responses)

From: Gv Fragante <fragante_at_unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1992 22:05:19 GMT

Thanks to all those who responded to my query regarding Outer Joins on more than 2 tables. Below is a summary of suggestions that I received.

From MKK2_at_PSUVM.PSU.EDU:

Just a guess. What if you defined views that are outer joins for AB, AC, and AD? Then a join of these three views ought to give you the grand outer jooin.

From Jon Galley:

Q: How do I do multiple outer joins in one select? A: Try this...

SELECT a.key,
       a.field1,
       b.field2,
       c.field3
FROM master_table a,
     detail_table1 b,
     detail_table2 c
WHERE a.key = b.key (+) AND
      a.key = c.key (+);

From a helpful fellow whose reply I accidentally deleted. Ironically, it was the most useful.

 Select Master Fields A,

       Detail Fields B
  From Master Table A,

       Detail Table B
 Where Master Key A = Detail Key B

Union

Select Master Fields A,

       Detail Fields C
  From Master Table A,

       Detail Table C
 Where Master Key A = Detail Key C

Union

Select Master Fields A,

       Detail Fields D
  From Master Table A,

       Detail Table D
 Where Master Key A = Detail Key D

Union

etc. Received on Tue Mar 17 1992 - 23:05:19 CET

Original text of this message