Re: Rollback segment question (need help)

From: Fang Feng <ffeng_at_cs.tamu.edu>
Date: 17 Mar 92 21:24:06 GMT

Thanks for those who replied me directly or posted on the group. I tried the way you told me, but the problem still there. My steps are as follows:

  1. Create a second rollback segment (I called it 'dummy') before I created any tablespace other than the 'SYSTEM' one.
  2. Shut the database down.
  3. Change the file 'init.ora' to include the rollback segment dummy by rollback_segments = dummy
  4. Start the database up with the changed init.ora
  5. Create new tablespace 'mc_space' by create tablespace mc_space datafile 'path/filename' size 80M resue default storage (initial 50M next 50K minextent 1 maxextents 600 pctincrease 0)
  6. Create new rollback segment by create rollback segment roll_mc tablespace mc_space storage (initial 50000 next 50000 minextents 1 maxextents 100 pctincrease 0) This SQL command caused error: ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace 'MC_SPACE' So, that means this statement was not successful.
  7. I looked up the dictionary by select * from sys.dba_rollback_segs Only 'system' and 'dummy' were there.
  8. Then I shut down the database, changed 'init.ora' to include the rollback segment 'roll_mc' (I tried to create for tablespace 'mc_space'), and then start up the database. I still couldn't find the segment 'roll_mc'. So that means the command in step 6 didn't succeed.
  9. During the process, I used userid and password 'system/manager', it didn't work. Then I tried use other userid and password, say 'oracle/tti1'. It still didn't work.

   Did I do anything wrong or in wrong order? I looked up the manual and couldn't    find the answer. Do you have any idea?

   I really appreciated your reply.

  • Fang
--
Texas A&M University               "Time will erase everything"
Department of Computer Science     "Who knows what will happen