Oracle Design Help Needed

From: Robert Slaski <slaski_at_netwrx1.NW1.COM>
Date: 12 Mar 92 01:02:37 GMT

I need help in designing a UNIX Oracle application. I need to perform the same query to my local Oracle database as well as two IBM mainframes. One of the IBM hosts operates Model 204 and the other operates IDMS through CICS. My user workstation supports multiple windows.

My query input screen is going to be an Oracle SQL form or equivalent. I was planning to try to pass data from the form "user exits" to a process that issued the query to the mainframes. This would be performed by controlling a simulated 3270 screen using the IBM HLLAPI mechanism. The results would appear in separate windows. That is, the results do not have to appear on the input SQL form. How can I pass the query data, e.g. name, from the SQL form process to the simulated terminal process. Can Oracle supported "forked" or child processes? Can I "park" a file? Is there a better method?

I have also been thinking about trying to create a complete Oracle form solution. I would try to provide the external results directly into a separate local database. Might there be a way to capture the query within Oracle? Would it be too difficult to try to load or insert the results into a local table and then notify the SQL form process?

Any help is appreciated. I have designed several systems but database systems are not my specialty. I have no real experience with Oracle.

Thanks in advance.

  Robert Slaski			Usenet:	  uunet!netwrx1!slaski
  Open Networks			Internet: slaski%netwrx1_at_uunet.uu.net
  11490 Commerce Park Drive               slaski_at_netwrx1.nw1.com
  Suite 205
  Reston, VA  22091      	Voice:    (703) 648-0013