Database space/disk usage administration ??

From: eric.edberg <elel_at_cbnewsd.att.com>
Date: 10 Mar 92 20:05:30 GMT

Hello All,

I am now tyring to decide how to manage the long-term administration of our database. This database is being used to collect performance measurements from remote equipment. Since we could be collecting measurements every 10 minutes, the database could get large requiring archiving of older data sets.

The process that I have proposed is to:

  1. keep 1-4 weeks of system measurements on-line in the active database (dependent on the final amount of steady-state disk usage it eventually requires)
  2. every day, incrementally 'export' the previous days measurement data into a date-stamped compressed log file.
  3. delete all data older that the 1-4 week limit from the db.
  4. delete all daily db files required to keep some amount of free block available on the computer.

I would like to hear any general comments from others about backup/export/archive procedures; especially about flaws that might exist in my proposed format described above.

Questions I have include:

  1. can I import, older, daily incremental log files back into the on-line database so I can process them at a later date ?

           Do I need to start with a full epoc ??

	b) is there any way to specify the starting and ending dates
	   of an incremental epoch ?  The only way I thought of was
	   to SELECT by date into new table(s), and back those new
	   tables up rather than the real tables.

I do not have knowleldge about transaction oriented backup schemes. Mabey sombody who is familiar could breifly share their knowledge....

Eric Edberg
att!iexist!elel
708-713-5231 Received on Tue Mar 10 1992 - 21:05:30 CET

Original text of this message