Re: V6 export to V5 DBMS

From: Michael Wang <mmwang_at_adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 1992 00:37:26 GMT

In article <1992Feb27.003335.2546_at_news.gvl.unisys.com> robin_at_emma.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Robin McEntire) writes:
>I'm running Version 6.0.30 and have a user that needs an export of my database,
>but this user has Version 5. A suggestion was made to dump the V6 data to a
>file of INSERT statements that can then be loaded into the V5 database.
>
>Is this the right thing to do? If so, can anyone give me pointers as to how to
>do this. If it's not the right thing to do, does anyone have a better notion of
>how it should be done.
>
>many thanks,
> robin

There are a number of ways of doing this depending on whether or not you can make a SQL*Net connection from your V5 database to your V6 database. There is information on how to handle both cases in your platform-specific V6 Database User's Guide in the section on to move your data from V5 to V6. At the end of this section it explains how to move from V6 to V5. The basic ideas are as follows:

Can make SQL*Net connection

  1. Use the COPY command to copy table from V6 to V5. Best if only a few tables have to be moved. Otherwise scripts have to be written, etc. Doesn't work well if other objects have to be moved like indexes.
  2. Run the V5 Export utility against the V6 database. This will create a file that can be used by V5 Import to load data into your V5 database. This is the best method if you have a lot of stuff to transfer. You may need to build some views on your V6 database before this will work. Read the OS specific User's Guide for more information.

Can't make SQL*Net connection

(If you can't make a SQL*Net connection and you have lots of stuff to move, then you are going to have to do a lot of work).
  1. Dump just the data to text files using SQL*Plus and then use SQL*Loader to load the data into V5. Only works with tables with less than 500 characters of data (SQL*Plus limitation). You will need to setup the tables on the V5 database and create SQL*Loader control files before loading in the data.
  2. Dump the data using another reporting tool like SQL*Report, SQL*ReportWriter, or Pro*C and use SQL*Loader to load data.
  3. Use SQL*Plus or another reporting tool to create INSERT statements to load in data (as somebody has already explained). Again, you will to precreate the tables on the V5 database before running the scripts.

Michael Wang
mmwang_at_adobe.com Received on Sat Feb 29 1992 - 01:37:26 CET

Original text of this message