Re: HyperCard/TCP-IP interface for Oracle ?>

From: Spencer Moore <smoore_at_oregon.uoregon.edu>
Date: 25 Feb 92 16:38:04 GMT

In article <1992Feb25.034812.26420_at_CS.ORST.EDU>, gonzalm_at_prism.cs.orst.edu (Mario Gonzales) writes:

> Hello we have Oracle running under Banner/SIS and I would like
> to use a TCP/IP connection to get information directly from the
> Database over the Net. I have no experience with Oracle but
> have the expertise at my aide.
>
> I am farmilliar with HyperCard so their is no problem thier. I heard
> someone say that their may be already a interface available.
>
> What I am doing is running a HyperCard Application that will need to Search
> the Database on a real time basis for Lab access restricion purposes and
> continual Database update ability.
>
> Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated

We are also running Banner here at the University of Oregon. I have experimented with connecting Hypercard to the database over TCP/IP, though we haven't put anything into production using this setup. What you need is:

  • SQL*Net running on both the server and the client (your Macintosh).
  • A TCP/IP connection between the two. Ethernet on the Macintosh is much preferable to Appletalk.
  • An XCMD for HyperCard that enables HC to talk to SQL*Net (this is provided with SQL*Net)
  • Oracle for Macintosh is optional.

Beware that using HC for anything but queries requires a lot more manual programming than SQL*Forms, for example. Handling such issues as row locking, updating or inserting in HC is not quite as automatic as it is in forms.

One reason we're not using HC in production is the lack of a compelling reason to use HC over SQL*Forms - since we don't really need a graphical presentation, we've so far stuck to forms. I imagine that SQL*Forms will be our interface of choice should we choose to move toward a client/server environment.

Contact me directly for further information.

Spencer Moore
Systems Analyst
Computing Center
University of Oregon
smoore_at_oregon.uoregon.edu Received on Tue Feb 25 1992 - 17:38:04 CET

Original text of this message