PRO*C question

From: Bo Green <bogreen_at_council.chspr.ubc.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1992 23:01:50 GMT

I'm new to ORACLE, and am developing a *large* indexed table that will be updated from a C program.

I would like to store the integers in the table in binary format. Is "raw" the right data type for this? If so, how will the length of the variable affect host variables of type "int"?

There is one variable that is going to be extra trouble. It is an integer that is in the 7,000,000,000 range. I would like to store it as binary data on the ORACLE table (type raw(5)) but have no idea how to set up a suitable host variable for it. My best guess would be "int", but 32 bits is too small for the size of number I'm storing.

I could store it as character or number, but it will increase the size of the table substantially, so I'm trying to find a solution first.

The worst part is that none of the manuals I've looked at have any decent discussion of "raw", and there is no mention of conversions between host variables and table variables.

Does anyone have any information or suggestions??? If so, thanks enormously.

Bo Green (bo!bo!bo!)                      Internet: bogreen_at_unixg.ubc.ca
Programmer/Analyst                        Bitnet: USERJIK_at_UBCMTSG
Centre For Health Services and Policy Research University of British Columbia, Vancouver CANADA Received on Wed Feb 12 1992 - 00:01:50 CET

Original text of this message