few novice questions ....

From: James Brooks <brooksj_at_cpva.saic.com>
Date: 4 Feb 92 18:27:28 GMT

In article <92033.014407BMKBB_at_CUNYVM.BITNET>, Bhanu M. Kuchibhotla <BMKBB_at_CUNYVM.BITNET> writes:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am a novice user of ORACLE ver 5.1B. Here are a list of
> doubts I have:
>
> a) I have created few tables. How do I list the tables I
> have created.
> b) I compiled a file TEST.PC file and converted it to
> pure C code ( I don't know if I am using the right
> terminology here). I tried to comiple the C code
> using TLINK (linker provided by Boroland). I end
> up with a error message saying LLIBC.LIB not found.
> I suspect that it is one of the Miscrosft C library file
> not available in Turbo C but just now sure. Any ideas?
> c) how do I list users who have access to the Database.
> d) I want to import a DBASE file TAPES.DBF to a table that
> can be accessed by Oracle SQL. I badly need this as I
> am boggled by this probelm. It's really pain to create
> the database TAPES.DBF again using SQL. It has over
> 75K records.
> e) Just curious if ORACLE can export tables to files
> able to be accessed by DBASE..
>
> I would appreciate if anyone of you could help me out.
>
> Hoping to see few suggestions by tomorrow.
> Thanx a million in advance.
> Bhanu M. Kuchibhotla

Dear Bhanu;

It has been a while since I have worked with Oracle version 5, but I think I can help you with some of your questions.

  1. To list the tables owned by a user you can query the Data Dictionary view - TAB. You can get a listing of all the Data Dictionary views by querying DTAB.
  2. This is just a guess, but have you looked for the file LLIBC.LIB ??? Is it in your search path.
  3. Check the Data Dictionary (DTAB)for the view that lists users.
  4. Isn't there a translate utility for DBASE that will convert the DBF files to ASCII delimited files ?? If so, you could use SQL*Loader to get the data file into the database.
  5. Again, there is some translation involved. You could use SQL*PLus to print the rows to a file with the standard delimiters and then translate it to DBASE format.

Hope this helps...

--
Jim Brooks, DBA				email: CPMAIL_at_BROOKSJ
SAIC EUTG Transportation Systems	phone: (619) 546-6462