ORACLE V7 user names and tables

From: <pihlab_at_hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 23 Jan 92 11:41:36 GMT

> I work with several different "flavors" of databases, and with the
> others, if you decide to delete a user and all of that user's associated
> data, it's quite easy , but in ORACLE, once you create a user name, it's
> there for life, it seems, unless someone can tell me otherwise.
>
> It seems to me that this would be a VERY basic function, being able to undo
> what you do, or to delete a user and that user's tables with one command,
> but I HAVE NEVER FOUND IT!

Just got some info from a contact in Oracle OZ and it would appear that the DROP USER CASCADE command in ORACLE V7 actually tidies everything.

Here are the steps he went through :

>$ v7demo
>
>SQL*Plus: Version 3.1.1.3.1 - Alpha on Wed Jan 22 00:43:01 1992
>Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1991. All rights reserved.
>
>Connected to: ORACLE RDBMS V7.0.7.9.0, transaction processing option - Alpha
>PL/SQL V2.0.9.3.0 - Alpha
>
>SQL> select username from dba_users
> 2 where username like 'DROP%';

>no rows selected
>
>SQL> create user DROP_ME
> 2 identified by DROP_ME_NOW
> 3 DEFAULT TABLESPACE user_data
> 4 temporary tablespace user_data
> 5 quota 0K on system
> 6 quota 500K on user_data
>
>User created.
>
>SQL> grant create session to drop_me;
>
>Grant succeeded.
>
>SQL> select username from dba_users
> 2 where username like 'DROP%';
>
>USERNAME
>------------------------------
>DROP_ME
>
>SQL> grant create table to drop_me;
>
>Grant succeeded.
>
>SQL> connect drop_me/drop_me_now
>
>Connected.
>
>SQL> create table testtab
> 2 (test1 char(10));
>
>Table created.
>
>SQL> connect system/manager
>
>Connected.
>
>SQL> drop user drop_me cascade;
>
>User dropped.
>
>SQL> select username from dba_users
> 2 where username like 'DROP%';
>
>no rows selected
>
>SQL> quit
>
>Disconnected from ORACLE RDBMS V7.0.7.9.0, transaction processing option - Alpha
>PL/SQL V2.0.9.3.0 - Alpha

I don't have any timing on the release of V7 so stop salivating now.

Anyway its something to look forward to and there are a lot of interesting questions just about the various new commands and grants in the log above.

Bruce... pihlab_at_hhcs.gov.au Received on Thu Jan 23 1992 - 12:41:36 CET

Original text of this message