Re: Which Unix Server

From: Peter Russell <peterr_at_syacus.acus.oz.au>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1992 23:01:38 GMT

ian_at_unixhub.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Ian A. MacGregor) writes:

>I am in the process of preparing a request for a unix Oracle database server,
>and have narrowed it down to two choices: an R/S 6000 550 or a comparable
>(same price range) machine from Sun.

[stuff deleted]

>What if any are the advantages and disadvantages of running Oracle on a RISC
>platform particulary an R/S 6000 running aix? Which architecture would you
>choose? Are they compelling reasons to choose something such as a Sequent,
>a Pyramid, or other type of unix machine?

Just to throw the cat in amongst the pidgeons. Look at the new Unisys 6000/65. (From the Convergent part of the company).

Advantages:

Multiple 486 architecture, so you know you can always add CPU if you need it.
A real multiprocessor Unix V.4.
The advantages of running an i386 complient box. Lots of third party stuff,
debuggers, tools etc.
All the networking support you'll need.

Does this sound like an ad, sorry, but we like 'em.

Peter Russell
peterr_at_syacus.acus.oz
ACUS - The Australian Centre for Unisys Software +61 2 390 1383 Received on Tue Jan 21 1992 - 00:01:38 CET

Original text of this message