Re: Oracle GUIs

From: Nitin Borwankar <nitin_at_ingres.com>
Date: 17 Jan 92 19:41:56 GMT

In article <erik.695463126_at_abblund> erik_at_abblund.se (Erik Sparre) writes:
>kevinc_at_pscinc.ca (Kevin Cormier) writes:

[ STUFF DELETED ]
>>Due to the dynamic nature of the national network, the GUI/graphic toolkit
>>must have the capability of displaying/creating graphics dynamically (i.e., it
>>cannot be a "canned" graphic of the topology).

[ STUFF DELETED ]

>Database GUIs and other "high-level" tools are very often incabable of dealing
>with dynamic user interfaces. Any graphics is, as you say, "canned".
>My best bet is to go for more traditional GUI tools and toolkits.
>You didn't mention what environment you wanted, but I would suggest that
>you consider X/Motif and MS Windows.

This is not entirely true ( ie that databases GUI's cannot handle dynamic graphics ).

There is currently at least one ( possibly more ) product that does exactly this.

It is INGRES Windows4GL - a GUI application builder that can create not only graphics, but procedures, screens and entire applications dynamically. I know this may not be the place to post this since it is a newsgroup for Oracle users, but I'd like to clarify that such tools ARE available today and can create applications that can be immediately deployed (without recoding or recompiling) on MOTIF, DecWindows and MS Windows 3.0. It is a high level tool with a 4GL that does graphics and SQL. People are using it for exactly the kind of things requested ie. dynamic representations of network topologies.

Again to clarify, currently Windows4GL works only against INGRES databases and RdB, Db2 and some non-relational db's.

To repeat this is only to state that dynamic graphic capability and database technology are not incompatible and I wanted to give an example which happens to be a product my employer makes.

I am not a salesman, this is a technical info post and not a veiled ad. Please don't waste bandwidth by flaming me. If you do want to flame me please take it to e-mail.

We now return you to our regular Oracle based discussions.

Nitin Borwankar. I am not representing my company in this post. Ingres, an ASK company.
Alameda, Ca, USA.
nitin_at_ingres.com