Re: Oracle GUIs

From: David Harrington <dgh_at_Unify.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 92 02:38:13 GMT

In article <OLINGER.92Jan14092247_at_halley.est.3m.com>, olinger_at_halley.est.3m.com (Randy M. Olinger) writes:

> >Due to the dynamic nature of the national network, the GUI/graphic toolkit
> >must have the capability of displaying/creating graphics dynamically (i.e., it
> >cannot be a "canned" graphic of the topology).
>
> This kind of violates the theory of a relational database. Joins can
> be made on any two columns of any two tables, therefor the actual
> topology is really in the eyes of the beholder. Although, I never
> claimed that Oracle followed the relational model...
> :-)
>
> There are products that store database topology and display it inside

> of a GUI, but you, the DBA, are always going to be responsible for
> connecting the tables together. The best you can hope for is a
> product that can take a 'best guess' at where a new object (table)
> should be placed.

I think you missed the point. He wants to display the *network* topology, not the *database* topology. This is a sophisticated graphical feature, but certainly not unobtainable. I am sure there will be many 4GL products to choose from that will give the developer of a network management application the ability to dynamically display the topology within the next one or two years.

And BTW, this capability has nothing to do with the where objects or tables are located in the DBMS; it is purely a graphical capability, and it need not be in a 4GL (but it would make it easier for the application developer).

--
David Harrington                             internet: dgh_at_unify.COM
Unify Corporation                             voice: +1 916 928-6255