Re: Rollback segments

From: <pihlab_at_hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 15 Jan 92 13:29:56 GMT

> We are running ORACLE version 6.0.32 on a SUN workstation
> and are having problems with rollback segments not having
> enough extents. The manual says to increase maxexents and
> try again but then says in the explanation of storage parameters
> that maxextents is OS and block size dependent.
>

> Does anyone have any info on how to find more info on max
> extents for my environment?

I'm working under VAX/VMS and ours is limitted to 121.

One way to find the value for your machine is to set MAXEXTENTS to 9999 with a small extent size of 1 block (do this on a table) and load it up. Check how many extents get used before it dies on an insert. This extent limit is common for all objects in your DB.

With regard to your ROLLBACK Segments, try a larger extent size and possibly more rollback segments depending upon how many users you have. Make sure you have enough space in your Rollback Segment Tablespace for the growth you need. Its a good idea to put them into a separate Tablespace away from your Dictionary and applications.

Hope this is useful.

Bruce... pihlab_at_hhcs.gov.au Received on Wed Jan 15 1992 - 14:29:56 CET

Original text of this message