Re: Oracle GUIs

From: Erik Sparre <erik_at_abblund.se>
Date: 15 Jan 92 08:12:06 GMT

kevinc_at_pscinc.ca (Kevin Cormier) writes:
>Our client is interested in querying an Oracle database for
>network topology information and then displaying this information
>in a graphical manner.

>Due to the dynamic nature of the national network, the GUI/graphic toolkit
>must have the capability of displaying/creating graphics dynamically (i.e., it
>cannot be a "canned" graphic of the topology).

>Would prefer a GUI/toolkit that could interface to the database directly
>at a high-level rather than low-level (e.g., C interface calls, etc.).

>Also, it would probably be desireable to interface to the database
>through the GUI therefore forms and reporting facilities are required.

Database GUIs and other "high-level" tools are very often incabable of dealing with dynamic user interfaces. Any graphics is, as you say, "canned". My best bet is to go for more traditional GUI tools and toolkits. You didn't mention what environment you wanted, but I would suggest that you consider X/Motif and MS Windows.
There are general-purpose tools and toolkits for displaying various kinds of graphs and trees. It is usually possible to control some look-and-feel details to suit a particular problem. Mail me to get a list of available tools.

Note that this approach will require some programming on your behalf.

Regards

--
Erik Sparre                                  | Email erik_at_abblund.se
ABB Corporate Research                       | Phone +46 46 168527