Re: Oracle GUIs

From: Randy M. Olinger <olinger_at_halley.est.3m.com>
Date: 14 Jan 92 15:23:32 GMT

>I am looking for some information regarding GUIs for Oracle.

>Due to the dynamic nature of the national network, the GUI/graphic toolkit
>must have the capability of displaying/creating graphics dynamically (i.e., it
>cannot be a "canned" graphic of the topology).

This kind of violates the theory of a relational database. Joins can be made on any two columns of any two tables, therefor the actual topology is really in the eyes of the beholder. Although, I never claimed that Oracle followed the relational model... :-)

There are products that store database topology and display it inside of a GUI, but you, the DBA, are always going to be responsible for connecting the tables together. The best you can hope for is a product that can take a 'best guess' at where a new object (table) should be placed.

I wish you well, even though I am not impressed at all with Oracle as a product.

Randy

Randy M Olinger                    EMAIL: olinger_at_halley.serc.3m.com
3M Company                         Engineering Systems and Technologies Div.