ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [SKGMFAIL]

From: <adaptron_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:12:46 -0700 (PDT)

I have found a lot of information on the web about ORA-00600 internal errors but very little specific to SKGMFAIL.

Oracle support responded as follows:

  • symptom: Starting database fails
  • symptom: ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [Skgmfail],[2], [1]
  • cause: Unix kernel parameter SHM_MAX set too low

fix:

Check and set Unix kernel parmeters as below:

SHM_MAX = 4278190080 (4GB less 16MB) <------- this may be modify according to Doc 169706.1 as , this doc is too old.

SHM_MNI = 256
SHM_SEG = 128
SHM_MIN = 1024

In my case, these memory parameters were set correctly.

My LINUX administrator used a tool called md5sum and found that my spfile was corrupt.
When the spfile was replaced from a backup, my database started properly.

Since SKGMFAIL. seems to be a rather obscure error I though this post might be useful to others.

David Roth
Sr Oracle DBA
FRT Services Received on Fri Apr 20 2012 - 19:12:46 CEST

Original text of this message