Re: Migration tool

From: Álvaro G. Vicario <>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:10:40 +0100

[Quoted] El 21/12/2009 22:27, Mark D Powell escribió:
> On Dec 21, 2:09 pm, "Gerard H. Pille"<> wrote:
>> "Álvaro G. Vicario" wrote:
>>> I have two file trees that correspond to two differerent versions of the
>>> database schema for a web application I'm developing. These files
>>> contain the SQL code to generate the objects (tables, sequences,
>>> views...). I can find out what changed with any standard compare tool (I
>>> use WinMerge). But it's hard to obtain a script with the appropriate
>>> ALTER TABLE commands to migrate a live DB from one version to another.
>>> Is there any free or open source tool I could use? I don't need it to
>>> have fancy graphics or make everything for me; any improvement over
>>> writing it all from scratch will be welcome. I'm interested in DB
>>> structure, not data.
>> Tora?
> As in
> Per the site as I have no experience with this tool:
> TOra is a Toolkit for Oracle which aims to help the DBA or developer
> of database applications. Features PL/SQL debugger, SQL worksheet with
> syntax highlighting, DB browser and a full set of DBA tools. TOra also
> includes support for MySQL and Postgres.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Nice suggestion, I hadn't heard of this program. It has a tool called "DB Extraction/Compare/Search" that _seems_ to be able to do what I need (although I've spent like an hour trying to figure out how to do it, with no luck).

-- - Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
-- Mi sitio sobre programación web:
-- Mi web de humor satinado: