Re: Unit Test Tools

From: Tim X <>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:31:22 +1000

Lee <> writes:

> I've just read a whole bunch about Test Driven Design, automated unit
> testing, xUnit, JUnit, Quest's code testing tool (at $595 a pop, or some
> such....eek!) , utPLSQL, pl/unit, and PLUTO. Whew!
> Has anyone had any experience with any of the above, either the TDD idea in
> general or any of the specific tools/frameworks alleged to make it all
> better?
> What sage advice can be had from those in the trenches before me?
> Our people would be coding in pl/sql, of course.

Yep. I looked at a few. Most of them werre overly complex for what I needed.

In the end, I grabbed PLUTO and played with it for a while. It is simple, but provides pretty much all you need. However, I found a number of problems with it and a few bugs. I think it wold be fair to classify PLUTO as a proof of concept rather than a finished or under development solution.

In the end, I pretty much stole the basic ideas in PLUTO and re-implemented - its actually quite small. There are still some rough edges, but everyone using it has found it is useful for meeting our TDD needs. There are a number of things I want to improve, but just now, getting the job done has priority.

It took me about 2 days to re-implement PLUTO, including a couple of extensions that made what we are doing a bit easier. The one thing we have given up using at present is PLUTO's ability to dynamically generate the run_tests procedure. While this is a nice feature, we found on a larger RAC based system that having PLUTO dynamically generate the run_tests procedure when you execute your test made it really really slow. For now, developers must write and maintain their own run_tests method.

Apart from that, it pretty much provides the necessary scaffolding that is useful in getting a standardised set of unit tests. It is very similar to junit for Java or Perl's simple Testharness stuff. anyone familiar with either of these should have no problems.

tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au