Re: Generating DDL From Designer In a Set Order

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <>
Date: 3 Jun 2009 17:23:16 -0700

S R ( wrote:
: Designer Version is

: Whenever I generate the schema/ddl creation scripts after making minor
: changes, I like to compare the new scripts against the last set just to
: make sure the changes are as I expect. The trouble is each time I
: regenerate, the order of the items is different each time, making
: comparisons difficult.

: I've tried looking for a setting in the preference sets but there isn't
: anything obvious . Anyone know how to tell it to set the order of the
: tables during generation?

My kludgey work around: I have used something like the following to force a sorted order for comparisons of scripts such as the ones created by designer.

        perl -e "BEGIN{ $/=''} print sort <>" XXX.con .ind .etc

C:> perl -e "BEGIN{ $/=''} print sort <>" sclr.ind > sclr.ind.0

then generate, then

C:> perl -e "BEGIN{ $/=''} print sort <>" sclr.ind > sclr.ind.1

then diff the before and after

C:> diff sclr.ind.0 sclr.ind.1

$0.10 Received on Wed Jun 03 2009 - 19:23:16 CDT

Original text of this message