Re: How to import a .DMP file?

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 05:07:38 -0700 (PDT)

On May 6, 2:55 am, Rainer Venema <rainer.ven..._at_gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have received a .DMP file of an Oracle database. Unfortunately, I do
> not know any details on how this file was created. When I try to
> import the file using the 'imp' utility, I get an error message
> (sorry, it is in German)
>     ORA-12560: TNS: Fehler bei Protokolladapter
>
> Can anybody help me what´s going wrong? Sorry, but up to now I have
> little experience with Oracle.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rainer

That is not an imp error, but a connection error. You need ORACLE_SID set in your local environment, TWO_TASK set to a remote database or you need to pass a valid TNS alias in the connection string. Valid methods follow:

UNIX/Linux local connection --

$ ORACLE_SID=mydb; export ORACLE_SID
$ imp user/pass file=...

Windows local connection --

c:\> set ORACLE_SID=mydb
c:\> imp user/pass file=...

UNIX/Linux TWO_TASK connection --

$ TWO_TASK=mydb; export TWO_TASK
$ imp user/pass file=...

Client connection --

c:\> imp user/pass_at_mydb file=...

You'll need to check your local tnsnames.ora file for valid aliases you can use; the file is usually located under the $ORACLE_HOME/ network/admin directory on UNIX/Linux and under %ORACLE_HOME%\network \admin on Windows (yes, it's the same relative location, the syntax for the operating system differs between UNIX/Linux and Windows).

Further information is avaiable at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed May 06 2009 - 14:07:38 CEST

Original text of this message