IS and AS

From: O_TEXT <O_TEXT_at_nospam.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:01:01 +0100

[Quoted] [Quoted] I was wondering what is the difference between IS and AS, in general [Quoted] PL/SQL code.

[Quoted] [Quoted] For instance of FUNCTION book_t, how can oracle know if keyword ending the header is IS or AS;
[Quoted] [Quoted] I mean if header returns SELF and declare result variable before BEGIN, [Quoted] or if header returns SELF AS RESULT and declare nothing before BEGIN.

CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE BODY book_t
AS

   CONSTRUCTOR FUNCTION book_t (id IN INTEGER,

      title IN VARCHAR2,
      isbn IN VARCHAR2,
      pages IN INTEGER)
      RETURN SELF AS RESULT

   IS
   BEGIN
      SELF.id := id;
      SELF.title := title;
      SELF.isbn := isbn;
      SELF.pages := pages;
      IF isbn IS NULL OR SELF.ck_digit_okay
      THEN
         RETURN;
      ELSE
         RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR(-20000, 'ISBN ' || isbn
            || ' has bad check digit');
      END IF;

   END;