Inserting string data including &

From: Tim Slattery <>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:58:55 -0400

[Quoted] I'm trying to load a database table. The table contains several string columns, and in many places the value of that string must contain an ampersand (&).

[Quoted] When I code an insert statement like this:

[Quoted] insert into edit_messages (edit_number, title, intro)   values(123, '--&nbsp; line of error message', '--&nbsp; line 2 of message);

[Quoted] SQL*Plus assumes that &nbsp is a variable and prompts me for a value for it. Is there a way to escape the & so that it becomes just part of the string?

Tim Slattery