Re: Grid Control and Target:Database page

From: pgodfrin <pgodfrin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:45:46 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 5, 3:14 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> pgodfrin wrote:
> >> It doesn't. These days databases dynamically register with listeners in
> >> most cases. It may be looking at where the dynamic registration took place.
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> > HI Dan,
> > Well - the database is indeed dynamically registering with the
> > listener:
>

> > STATUS of the LISTENER
> > ------------------------
> > Alias LISTENER
> > Version TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 10.2.0.1.0 -
> > Production
> > Start Date 04-JAN-2008 18:00:31
> > Uptime 0 days 20 hr. 2 min. 59 sec
> > Trace Level off
> > Security ON: Local OS Authentication
> > SNMP OFF
> > Listener Parameter File /home/oracle/tnsadmin/listener.ora
> > Listener Log File /oracle/product/10.2.0.1/network/log/
> > listener.log
> > Listening Endpoints Summary...
> > (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=edgwprd1)(PORT=1521)))
> > Services Summary...
> > Service "edgwrp01" has 1 instance(s).
> > Instance "edgwrp01", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this
> > service...
> > Service "pgdb" has 1 instance(s).
> > Instance "pgdb", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
>

> > nothing fancy here - using the default listener, no SID_LIST in the
> > listener... But Grid insists that database "pgdb" should be using a
> > different listener (the one that was running when I installed grid and
> > the agent).
>

> > This is from the target:datbase page:
> > General
> > [Black Out]
> > Status Up
> > Up Since Jan 4, 2008 6:00:35 PM CST
> > Instance Name pgdb
> > Version 10.2.0.1.0
> > Host edgwprd1
> > Listener EDGWPRD1_10201_edgwprd1
> > View All Properties
>

> > So...any thoughts?
> > pg
>

> The Grid Control has a real problem with its metadata. Try shutting it
> down and restarting it. You may need to drop that target and recreate it
> but try the easy solution first.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington

yup - looks that way. I'm thinking that the emcli may have a role here. My point is that for the solitary installation I have here on my home PC, it's not a big deal to just delete the target suing the gui - but in a laorger DBA type of role, I would want to find a less 'user interface' intensive way of maintaining this sort of thing.

I'll follow up on this shortly - thanks for the dialog... pg Received on Mon Jan 07 2008 - 20:45:46 CET

Original text of this message