Re: is anyone trying to run SPARQL over Oracle + other data sources & web services?

From: Lee <Lee_at_JamToday.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 20:06:15 -0500

igoldsmid wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2:39 pm, Lee <L..._at_JamToday.com> wrote:
>

>>igoldsmid wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>
>>>We would be interested in starting a discussion with anyone building
>>>or evaluating Semantic Web technologies - building a semantic layer
>>>"over" Oracle and other corporate data sources & web services - using
>>>SPARQL/RDF/OWL etc..
>>
>>>Ian Goldsmid
>>>www.SemanticDiscoverySystems.com
>>
>>Have you seen this?
>>
>>It discusses setting up a triple store "over" a relational database system.
>>
>>http://dltj.org/2007/01/fedora-mptstore/

> Hi Lee
>
> I think dedicated triple stores have a place, however, it is generally
> found that most organizations will persist their "SQL Stores", and
> indeed most of their legacy systems for years to come. Relative to the
> Semantic Web - they want to apply ontologies (OWL) across all of that
> - and use SPARQL - via a mediation layer - to perform distributed
> joins/unions across distributed heterogeneous data sources - i.e.
> leaving the legacy data in situ, and in a way that has acceptable
> performance. That's what my company, Semantic Discovery Systems, is
> developing - and indeed delivering an Early Access version of
> already..

Clearly there is growing interest in the Semantic web and associated tools (RDF, N3, OWL, SPARQL etc) and sure enough, we have to believe that if Oracle Corp is spending the money to provide RDF support tools (includibng an Oracle flavored "triple Store"), they must sense that there is a market out there.

I take it that your approach is to keep the legacy RDBMS schema but somehow create a layer over it that can be queried (using SPARQL ? Mixing SPARQL with "normal" Where's and Joins? ) as if the underlying data were actually in Triple form?

I've been poking around the web, and see plenty of companies that say they have something or other involving the "Semantic Web", but very often I cant tell exactly what it is that they are doing, or what problem they are solving, except that they assure me its "Way cool".

I'ld be interested in knowing about various concrete real world problems people are actually having some success with, using semantic web tools or ideas. Received on Mon Dec 03 2007 - 02:06:15 CET

Original text of this message