How to simulate ORA-03114 "Not connected to Oracle" in a test application?

From: André Hartmann <andre.hartmann_at_hotmail.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:19:51 +0100

Hi there,
[Quoted] [Quoted]   I would like to simulate ORA-03114 in a test application and I would like to get some clues as to how to do this.

[Quoted] [Quoted]   Since people are probably going to ask why I want to do that, here is some background. An Oracle client application of ours that connects to Oracle via OCI, sometimes faces loss of connection, for example when a lap to goes into hibernation or the network is unstable. We are speaking of a Windows 2000, XP, Vista client here. Now we want to improve the error handling in our application in this specific case. That is no problem because ORA-03114 can be detected and appropriate measures can be taken (error message, automatic reconnection, ...).

  However for every issue that we fix in our applications we are writing a test case which will test a particular behaviour or bug fix. We do this in form of unit tests, so the unit test application will simply run for a short or long span of time without user interaction and protocol what happened, for example how many of the tests succeeded and how many failed.

  The loss of connection we dont know how to simulate. One way is to use OEM and manually KILL the session at the appropriate point of time and see what the application will do. But that requires user interaction, so its not like you can run the tests over night and just scan the protocol the next morning...

  We are using MS Dev studio 2005/2003 and the standard OCI library. Thanks very much in advance

André