Re: Error editing a grid based on a View

From: Frank van Bortel <>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:56:08 +0100

nick048 wrote:
> Hi to All,
> First, I use Oracle DB 10g and Forms Builder 10.
> This is my "scenario":
> 1) I have create a Form with an header with the Text Items
> CURRENT_YEAR, FROM_DATE, TO_DATE and a Button Item "Execute", and with
> a Grid.
> 2) The button populate according with selections the grid with data
> from an Oracle view that point to a remote non-oracle DB (SQL Server).
> For the connection I have used Oracle heterogeneous services.
> 3) All work fine; the grid is correctly filled.
> The problem is the editing of grid; if I try to modify a field in a
> row of grid, this error is displayed:
> FRM-40501: ORACLE error: unable to reserve record for update or delete
> I have searched on the web, without appreciable result.
> I need to edit the row, because I want create with each modified row a
> new record in a different table of my Oracle DB.
> Can someone help me ?
> Best Regards.
> Gaetano
Oracle Forms does not "understand" it cannot lock the record, as it is from SQL Server - try defining the grid block, based on a procedure.

Something else strikes as odd: blocks based on views should not be updateable (unless insetad-of triggers are used), as views cannot be updated. You are sure you want your gird updateable?

Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...