Re: suggestions for good graphical DB query builder

From: Martijn Tonies <>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 23:11:59 +0200

> > We're doing a product comparison for graphical query builders. Would
> > appreciate
> > your input on what you like (or don't).
> >
> > We're an Oracle shop, but we need connectivity w/ any ODBC compliant
> > DB.
> > Also need query result export options (esp Excel), pivot capability,
> > printable results,
> > Windows compliant.
> >
> > We don't need write capability, and if the tool has it, we need
> > to be able to turn it off. DB Admin tools not needed.
> >
> > I've heard great things about AQT (Advanced Query Tool)... comments?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Carol
> I think all of the tools are bad. They produce simplistic queries,
> poorly tuned, and hide from the end-user the information required
> to do the job well.
> Better to invest the money in good training than in a dumb-as-dirt
> GUI.
Although I do agree with you that an understanding of SQL helps you to write proper queries, your opinion about tools producing simplistic queries is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

There are tools available that allow you to use derived tables, sub-selects, multiple unions, complex multi joins etc etc. It's not all "select * from ... " :-)

Martijn Tonies
Database Workbench - development tool for Oracle, and more!
Upscene Productions
My thoughts: