Re: Reports Background engine failures

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:22:01 -0700

Preston wrote:

> No. I know it would be a 'perceived' benefit with some CDOS posters who
> rate the use of unsupported versions at a similar level to child
> murder, but the reality is we've never hit an Oracle bug with 6i in the
> several years we've been using it. In the highly unlikely event we do
> in the future, we'll worry about it then.

Your attitude speaks loudly and clearly with respect to your value system.

>> If you don't do it now when do you plan to do it? With version 11? 12?
>> 20? You should have been making this investment on an on-going basis.

> We don't plan to do it with any specific version. When we have a window
> in the development cycle to look at alternatives, we'll do so - but
> that won't be this year for certain. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
> - as Shakespeare probably would've said had he thought of it.

That window will never come. You will spend more and more of your energy doing stupid stuff like trying to figure out how to connect a paleolithic forms tool to the currently supported database. In fact right now I've got a smile on my face trying to figure out just how you plan on supporting Oracle 11g.

By the time you decide your customers are more important than whatever you've currently prioritized you will not have the revenue stream to do anything other than hire a bankruptcy attorney.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington