Re: SQL Book Recommendation

From: HansF <fuzzy.greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:05:52 -0700

On Jul 5, 5:10 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> J wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
>
> > I've done some searching on the forum/group here and I'm having a hard
> > time trying to find a book that suits my needs. I'm looking for a
> > book that I can use/reference to find how to use all of the various
> > SQL commands in Oracle. I've had prior experience in Transact-SQL in
> > my last job writing against a MS SQL Server. The book that I found
> > and love is "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL" by Ken Henderson. This
> > book, IMHO, is the best, definite guide on how to query a database.
>
> > Link here:
> >http://www.amazon.com/Gurus-Guide-Transact-SQL-Ken-Henderson/dp/02016...
>
> > I'm trying to find this same book for Oracle, but I'm not sure if one
> > exists. What I'm not looking for is a book that teaches you the
> > administrative side of an Oracle server/db, database tuning, etc. I'm
> > looking for a book that teaches all of the SQL commands (select,
> > insert, pivot tables, subquerying, etc), how they work, and what the
> > syntax is.
>
> > Is there anything out there that has this?

Yes. It is called the 'Oracle SQL Reference' manual. The manual provides details about each command, including all the syntax variants AND examples.

I realize it has two strikes against it - it's a manual, not a book; and it's free. Still, the information is invaluable. If you don't know and understand the contents of that manual, you simply do not know Oracle from a developer's perspective, no matter which other books you have read.

For 10g Release 2, it's at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/toc.htm

In addition to that, I highly recommend

  1. From APress at http://oracle.apress.com

Expert Oracle Database Architecture: 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions
By Thomas Kyte. ISBN: 1590595300

Mastering Oracle SQL and SQL*Plus
By Lex de Haan. ISBN: 1590594487

Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals
By Jonathan Lewis. ISBN: 1590596366

2) From OReilly press, SQL area, at http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/sql

The Art of SQL
By Stéphane Faroult, Peter Robson

SQL Cookbook
By Anthony Molinaro

3) From OReilly press, Oracle area, at http://oracle.oreilly.com

Mastering Oracle SQL , Second Edition
By Sanjay Mishra, Alan Beaulieu

/Hans Received on Fri Jul 06 2007 - 02:05:52 CEST

Original text of this message