Re: Oracle 9i Reports and CVS

From: RandyG271 <randyg271_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 May 2007 12:17:35 -0700

Malcolm,

> : Thanks for the reply. I saw the File - Save As - jsp option, however
> : when I tried to read back the results Oracle Reports stop with a debug
> : report dialog (not sure why).
>
> I commonly edit the JSPs using a text editor, and I sometimes use
> RCS to save revisions. I have altered the line ending from CRLF to LF
> with no problem, and even messed up the structure slightly without major
> problems when re-opening the JSP file in report builder.
>
> CVS is similar enough to RCS, so I wouldn't see any big reason it wouldn't
> work.

I haven't actually checked anything yet into CVS. All I did was a Save As .jsp, followed by File - Close, then File - Open the .jsp. This results in:

REP-0002: Unable to retrieve a string from the Report Builder message file.

If I click OK it seems to open without problems. Trying to use .xml format though does not work. A File - Open fails with:

REP-6102: Failed to start the XML parser.

and...

REP-6104: Invalid XML report definition.

A few times of this, then results in the infamous "Reports Builder has encountered a problem and needs to close" [Debug] [Close] dialog.

My conclusion is using .jsp will probably work for me and it obviously does for you. While Fred suggested the .rex format, I think this will be awkward for our developers since it is a "conversion" step from Tools - File Conversion menu, with no direct support (that I can see) to save and open in the .rex format.

On another note, for any who might be following this thread -- I just saw today Oracle has its own SCM tool, which is available inside the Reports IDE. Any positive or negative experience out there using this tool? Since Reports can integrate with a SCM, might it be possible to integrate directly with CVS?

Regards,
-Randy Galbraith Received on Thu May 31 2007 - 21:17:35 CEST

Original text of this message