Re: OCI Multiple homes

From: Carlos <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net>
Date: 10 May 2007 00:11:34 -0700

On 9 mayo, 19:40, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 9 May 2007 06:46:58 -0700, Carlos <miotromailcar..._at_netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Sybrand, I'm afraid I disagree.
>
> >Different ORACLE_HOMEs may have different aliases in their respective
> >tnsnames.ora (maybe they will connect to different groups of
> >instances, different environments, etc, etc...)
>
> >What I said is that the OP should put the *apropriate* alias in the
> >files and connect using them in the correct way (whatever this way
> >is).
>
> >It was you who figured out that the two tnsnames.ora should be the
> >same, not me.
>
> >Cheers.
>
> Carlos,
> I'm afraid I consider this as promoting maintaining messes.
> The mess you describe above is the perfect reason to
> either set up a central tnsnames.ora or abandon tnsnames.ora
> completely and setup OID.
> Apparently you never have been in the situation you describe. I have.
> I don't want to jump around every individual workstation because
> Oracle was upgraded. In fact this was on of the reasons NOT to
> upgrade, and to continue to use desupported versions, without a proper
> support contract in place.
>
> Sorry to say so, but you shouldn't learn people how NOT to do their
> job.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand:

"Apparently you never have been in the situation you describe."

Yes I have. I know it can be a mess, but my point was I didn't assume anything (the OP didn't say anything about it, I don't know the OP's environtment) I only said you must put *appropriate* entries in the respective tnsnames.ora (no matter if you centralise, or use symbolic links, or whatever).

Finally, It's quite right what you said, but I was not saying otherwise (or at least I didn't mean it). I was only NOT assuming any OP's environment.

BTW: I don't want to start another futile 'war of words'. ;-)

Cheers.

Carlos. Received on Thu May 10 2007 - 09:11:34 CEST

Original text of this message