Re: Sybase to Oracle migration

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:33:21 -0700

Shash Kulkarni wrote:
> Can someone tell me best approaches and methods to do Sybase (any
> version) to Oracle 9i (or above) migration? thanks

Depends on what you are trying to migrate.

Just the data? The structures? The code? and from what version of Sybase.

Generally speaking one starts by buying Tom Kyte's books and learning the architecture and concept differences between Sybase and Oracle so one doesn't go down in flames on the first attempt and blame Oracle on the second.

Contact me off-line and I will be happy to provide some background from several of these I've done recently.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington