Re: Charset problems when connecting from cygwin

From: Michael L. Squires <mikes_at_familysquires.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:10:14 -0500

In article <Y1jKh.97$6M.20_at_news.get2net.dk>, Michael Zedeler <michael_at_zedeler.dk> wrote:
>Hi everyone.
>
>I have written a perl script that tries to insert data into a table in
>an Oracle database residing on an aix server. Running the perl script on
>the server works fine, but if I try running it on my local machine
>(cygwin on Windows XP), I get this message:
>
>DBD::Oracle::st execute failed: ORA-06550: line 9, column 20:
>PLS-00553: character set name is not recognized

I ran into something similar trying to get some simple scripts using "grep" to work under both FreeBSD and Cygwin.

"grep" wouldn't find matches for a string under Cygwin, but it did under FreeBSD.

I eventually modified the scripts to try to match only the alphanumeric characters.

I think this is a problem with the MS Windows command shell and the way it treats characters; Cygwin bash uses the command shell and obviously doesn't do everything the same way as bash on some UNIX(tm) variant OS.

Mike Squires Received on Fri Mar 16 2007 - 03:10:14 CET

Original text of this message