Re: Oracle 10G XE WindowsXP and Zonealarm Pro

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:34:53 +0100

Robert A. Reissaus wrote:
> Hi guys.
> I have installed a oracle10 Express Edition on my Windowsxp. On the
> system I am running ZoneAlarm Pro with rather obvious adjusted privacy
> settings as follows:
> 3rd party cookies are blocked.
> private header information is disabled.
> popup/under ads are blocked
> animations are blocked
> script execution is blocked ( vbscript etc).
>
> As a result I can NOT logon to the database using SYSTEM ( or any
> other user for that matter).
>
> The ONLY i can log in is to remove ANY initial blockage in my
> firewall. This is of course totally unacceptable. Now I have tried to
> tweak the firewall settings in such a way that ports used by oracle
> are allowed, but that doesn't work. It *looks* like oracle circumvents
> the firewall entirely.
>
> Anybody any idea?
> Robert A. Reissaus

You are trying to connect to Oracle from outside the firewall?

You could try to tell Zonealarm that the oracle executables can contact the outside world, and open a port through which you can reach the listener from the outside.

I have only experience with zonealarm free on Whinedoze, but that one used to tell me which programs were trying to contact the outside world, and what was trying to connect. So it was easy: allow or disallow, and remember the answer, in this way you set up your firewall "a fur et a mesure". Received on Mon Jan 08 2007 - 20:34:53 CET

Original text of this message