Re: Upgrading Oracle Forms and Reports

From: What's in a namespace <xml_at_ns.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:30:42 +0100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> schreef in bericht news:1166635470.51510_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...
> Cris wrote:
>> J.R. Giardine wrote:
>>
>>> I need some advice on upgrading Oracle forms and reports. We are back
>>> in the stone age, running Forms 5.0 and Report Builder 3.0 with Oracle
>>> 8i. We are finally going to upgrade to 10g. Is is possible to migrate
>>> our forms and reports without rewriting them? If anyone has been
>>> through this, please drop me a line.
>>
>> I don't know if this could be of some help, but in Forms 9i (9.0.2) for
>> linux I noticed that the tool for compiling forms (f90genm) allows you to
>> convert old forms to current version, appartently even 3.0 forms.
>>
>> Perhaps this tool is still there in Forms 10g.
>>
>> HTH. Kind regards,
>
> Fascinating. Thanks for the pointer. I've got to check this out.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

[Quoted] [Quoted] The option has always been there. But when you convert a 3.0 form this way, you'll miss a lot (like mouse navigation) and the layout is horrible, but usable. A lot of functionality in key-next-item triggers etc.will be skipped if you navigate with the mouse and skip some fields. When converting from Forms 5.0 c/s mode, you can not use client side OS operations (like list directories etc). They will be perfomed on the server (if at all). But there is a toolbox to translate these functions. I can't remember the name right now, but I'm sure Frank van Bortel knows this!(Frank, come in please!). It's something with 'WIN' in its name. (Wintools?) It is a convenient way to perform a quick conversion, just to get your forms to the right platform. But you'll have to check and add a lot of functionality, or rebuild the most used forms to modern standards. Also, there is a lot of depricated stuff in the pl/sql version of Forms 5.0, and if you're lucky (no, not really) you will inherit even forms2.0 style triggers.

There used to be conversion tools on the market (like Kumaran, check Google) but they were never very successful. Usually you'd end up with a "tool" that was in fact a programmer in India. In the Netherlands, UCC used to perform conversions with this tool, and later Redwood and now ItEye (which is a part of Redwood I suppose).

[Quoted] [Quoted] Finally: I think I remember Forms 9i and 10 are compatible at FMB level. So if you have a 9i form fmb, you can just recompile it in 10g.

Reports: I don't know, but they MIGHT be compatible at RDF level.

Shakespeare
(what's in a tool?)

Shakespeare. Received on Wed Dec 20 2006 - 21:30:42 CET

Original text of this message