Re: Need to start Oracle DB under account other than 'oracle'

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:45:39 +0000

In message <1161737891.348354.28340_at_m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, karl <mkmorrison_at_gmail.com> writes
>Hi, I have Oracle 10 on RHEL 4 Linux. The user 'oracle' was used to
>install two databases, demo1 and test1. I also created another user
>with oinstal and oragroup memebership which can start either DB however
>once they start up they both run under the account 'oracle'. I need
>them to run under the account name of the other user.
>
>I tried editing dbstart & using sqlplus but in each case the databasees
>all start under oracle, as seen in a ps output.
>
>Any suggestions?

The oracle executable has the setuid bit set and will always run as oracle.

In order to run oracle as a different user, you need to install it as a different user in a separate oracle home.

--
Jim Smith
I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone who gives a damn.