Re: Need to start Oracle DB under account other than 'oracle'

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 01:21:09 GMT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:58:11 -0700, karl wrote:

> Hi, I have Oracle 10 on RHEL 4 Linux. The user 'oracle' was used to
> install two databases, demo1 and test1. I also created another user
> with oinstal and oragroup memebership which can start either DB however
> once they start up they both run under the account 'oracle'. I need
> them to run under the account name of the other user.
>
> I tried editing dbstart & using sqlplus but in each case the databasees
> all start under oracle, as seen in a ps output.
>
> Any suggestions?

In case you hadn't noticed, the database software ($ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle) is setuid to the installation user (oracle).

AFAIK, you would need to install in a separate ORACLE_HOME using a separate userid to do the install.

Curiosity compells - why? (For simple accounting, I would think the separation in process info would be enough.)

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!