oracle spool to a flat file slow

From: yogi <yogigoyal_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Oct 2006 11:21:26 -0700

[Quoted] Hi All,

I am working on oracle 9i on unix server .we are running a chain of various shell scripts which in turn calls pl/sql procedures and takes dump of oralce tables into flat files on unix server.

database and unix server on which shell scripts are running are on diffrent unix machines.when i directly take the spool of the table (on the server on which shell scripts are running), for dumping 80,000 rows it takes 30-40 secs.But same spool when we running through shell script takes 7 mins on the same server.

so my problem is i can't even simulate that situation while working on for tuning this spool.

The code i am using is simple.I am putting the query into a file and then connecting to database from unix and taking spool.

i was suggested to puse the parameter 'set fflush on ' but i could not see any diffrence.

Please suggest me what may be the possible reasons or is it some dba settings which is required to be set.

thanks a lot in advance. Received on Sat Oct 07 2006 - 20:21:26 CEST

Original text of this message