Re: Data export from oracle 10G to SqlServer 2000

From: Robbert van der Hoorn <reply_at_forum.only>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:34:29 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> schreef in bericht news:ftcfd25onp3g8treln64k95nqfug4auub6_at_4ax.com...
> On 7 Aug 2006 03:30:46 -0700, aamir.majeed_at_gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Actually I did such work between two SqlServers but what I felt that it
>>is more efficient to
>>take data out from database in file and then insert that files on
>>database.
>>
>>Rgrds
>
> Please do this forum a favor and stop top-posting (ie replying above
> the original text, while humans happen to read from top to bottom).
>
> Also please explain why using flat files is more efficient, and
> substantiate your assertion with benchmarks.
> I you can't substantiate your assertion, please take it back.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

Efficiency is not always about speed, space and benchmarks. It's also about having to download/buy and install tools, learning how to use them etc. OP said he FELT that it's more efficient. You can't take back a feeling (nice title for a song...).
Intermediate files can help to break up the process in verifiable steps, and prevent having to do the work all over when something fails in the end. And above all: they will give a snapshot of a situation at a certain (fixed) time, so if something fails, the process can be repeated with the same data, without stressing the source DB again (snaphots, materialized views are also an option). I feel like I agree with aamir here.

aamir:

If you want a 'direct' copy:
Oracle HS (Heterogenic Services) might help here. They are not too easy to install though (but once it works, it looks simple in retrospective) and are mostly based on ODBC. They help in a way that the 'opposite' database will show as an Oracle DB to your source DB, and for example, you can copy your data over a database link.

Robbert van der Hoorn Received on Thu Sep 28 2006 - 23:34:29 CEST

Original text of this message