Re: Problem connecting to database with Oracle Discoverer 4

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Sep 2006 08:02:33 -0700

Marino Ljubic wrote:
> antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Yes, I know that you were talking about the file tnsnames.ora, and that
> > is exactly the file I modified.
> >
> > When I mentioned the ODBC connection string, I was talking about the
> > connection string we use in the connect dialog box as shown in the
> > picture below:
> >
> > http://static.flickr.com/76/228299512_75fca56471_o.gif
> >
> > I am not sure if that connection string looks right. I do use that
> > connectiong string to connect to the same database in my web
> > application (in VB or C#).
> >
> > You know what I was talking about now?
> >
> > Thanks again.
>

> In the "Connect" field type only the name of the alias you created in
> tnsnames.ora, which is MyDBName in your example. The same thing with
> any other client using Oracle NetClient for connection.

[Quoted] OK, great, that answers my question. But I am still getting the same error:

Unable to connect to:myuserid_at_mydb_server.at.my.edu Failed to connect to database - ORA-12514: Message 12514 not found; product=RDBMS80;facility=ORA

And this is my TNSNAMES.ORA

MyDBName.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mydb_server.at.my.edu)(PORT = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = MyDBName)     )
  )
extproc_connection_data.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS =
        (PROTOCOL = IPC)
        (KEY = EXTPROC0)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
        (SID = PLSExtproc)
        (PRESENTATION = RO)

    )
  )

The oracle database I was attempting to connect is of version 10g. Any idea about where I am wrong? Thanks. Received on Thu Sep 07 2006 - 17:02:33 CEST

Original text of this message