Re: Problem connecting to database with Oracle Discoverer 4

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2006 19:14:16 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com schreef:
> > Frank van Bortel wrote:

> >> A simple "the error is TNS-12154 - listener could not resolve service
> >> name" would have been more efficient...

> >> Why? The error is by the listener - that's on the database server
> >> Probably, your entry in tnsnames.ora should be:
> >>
> >> (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = MyDBName.Mydomain.edu)
> >>
> >> If you do not know (it has been discussed before!), try
> >>
> >> (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MyDBName)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Frank van Bortel
> >>

> > Hi, Frank,
> >
> > Thanks a lot. I tried what you said, but I am still getting the same
> > error. I've tried both
> >
> > (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = MyDBName.Mydomain.edu)
> >
> > and
> > (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MyDBName)
> >
> > Neither worked.
> >
> > I am using the same connection string I used in my web application like
> > below:
> >
> > DSN=MyDBName;UID=myUserID;PWD=myPassword; DRIVER={Microsoft ODBC for
> > Oracle}; SERVER=199.220.3.6;
> >
> > Is this correct?
> >
> No, no, no - I'm referring to your Oracle network files; tnsnames.ora
> on your client in this case - I know nothing about a DSN.

> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

[Quoted] [Quoted] Yes, I know that you were talking about the file tnsnames.ora, and that [Quoted] is exactly the file I modified.

[Quoted] When I mentioned the ODBC connection string, I was talking about the connection string we use in the connect dialog box as shown in the picture below:

http://static.flickr.com/76/228299512_75fca56471_o.gif

I am not sure if that connection string looks right. I do use that connectiong string to connect to the same database in my web application (in VB or C#).

You know what I was talking about now?

Thanks again. Received on Thu Sep 07 2006 - 04:14:16 CEST

Original text of this message