Re: Question about Oracle Discoverer

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Sep 2006 08:17:43 -0700

Marino Ljubic wrote:
> <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > And it does not require a license to use. Discoverer (probably) does.
> >

> Yes, it does. AE and XML Publisher are fine products and I like them, but
> they don't belong to the same group. These are developer reporting tools,
> unlike Discoverer they require SQL knowledge. Oh yes, there is always some
> query builder wizard, but it's not magic. Discoverer Desktop (or AS
> Discoverer - web) is an end user drag & drop, click folder, click item,
> click filter, click sort, drill up/down, show me a graph, totals,
> percentages - a classical ad-hoc reporting tool. For the people who "don't
> know much about database", its table structure and SQL. But it requires an
> administrator who has to create a model that hides database complexity and
> presents its structure in a "friendly" manner to end users.

OK, sounds like it is hard. I won't have the ability to create such a friendly presentation for my boss. I don't know much about oracle database. I know some SQL and know how to get my data from the database in my web application. Received on Tue Sep 05 2006 - 17:17:43 CEST

Original text of this message