Re: Question about Oracle Discoverer

From: Marino Ljubic <mljubic_at_globalnet.hr>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 19:43:24 +0200

<frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1157028577.620834.46960_at_74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...

> And it does not require a license to use. Discoverer (probably) does.

Yes, it does. AE and XML Publisher are fine products and I like them, but they don't belong to the same group. These are developer reporting tools, unlike Discoverer they require SQL knowledge. Oh yes, there is always some query builder wizard, but it's not magic. Discoverer Desktop (or AS Discoverer - web) is an end user drag & drop, click folder, click item, click filter, click sort, drill up/down, show me a graph, totals, percentages - a classical ad-hoc reporting tool. For the people who "don't know much about database", its table structure and SQL. But it requires an administrator who has to create a model that hides database complexity and presents its structure in a "friendly" manner to end users. Received on Thu Aug 31 2006 - 19:43:24 CEST

Original text of this message