Question about Oracle Discoverer

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2006 18:58:37 -0700

[Quoted] [Quoted] My boss does not know much about database. He would like to have a GUI [Quoted] reporting tool for the Oracle 10i student database we maintain in our office.

I searched a little bit and found that Oracle Discoverer might be a good one for him.

I have a few questions here as I am also new to this.

  1. What version of Oracle Discoverer should I download for Oracle 10i and Windows XP (my boss uses an XP box)? I downloaded and installed Oracle Discoverer 4 Administration Edition, but it seems this package itself also comes with a Oracle Database and I don't know how to login. Even if I login, it is not gonna do the job, because we need to connect to the student database on another computer, see below.
  2. The student database runs on a Dell desktop that runs as the database server which provides backend support for some web application of this office, too. So, what my boss would need is a standalone reporting tool that can be connected to the database on the Dell computer. Will Oracle Discoverer be an option given this situation?

Thanks. Received on Tue Aug 29 2006 - 03:58:37 CEST

Original text of this message