Re: Database Load or Usage calculation

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:25:01 GMT

mune19642003_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I want to get some opinions on what would be a good way to calculate or
> maybe ballpark estimate the LOAD or CRITICALITY or USAGE etc of an
> Oracle database.
>
> This is more from the point of view of an SLA.
> So lets say we signup for supporting a database with x amount of
> resources and then subsequently the number of USERS increase or
> maybe that remains the same but their USAGE increases ie they submit
> more SQL QUERIES to the database. Or maybe the users share connections
> using a SHARED / WEB / APPLICATION account and just the number of
> SESSIONS keeps increasing or such or maybe its just the DATA VOLUME
> or DISK SPACE but that is also not the only factor if the data volume
> stays same due to archival but many APPS are sharing the database or
> such ...
>
> What might be a good way to say that - OK last year X was the total
> usage of the database and this year Y is the total usage and so the
> support cost increases by Y-X coefficient.....
>
> Thoughts ??

[Quoted] The SLA should be driven by the business needs and nothing else. What does the business need from this database in order to avoid losing revenue? In some cases, downtime of 1 hour can mean a loss of $100K or more. In that case, spending $300K on a solution to reduce unavailability means you'll achieve savings on just 3 hours of downtime.

I guess I'm looking at this from the other side of the box. But to me, business requirements define the SLA. Once the SLA is defined, you look to the database to capture metrics to help you determine if the SLA is being met. One does not look at the database first in order to write their SLA. Doing so leads to:

<proverbial>
cart
horse
</proverbial>